The insulation of your house can make or break the climate in your home. Without proper insulation, you’ll never be able to get completely comfortable in your home. Not only because the temperature will always be fluctuating, but because you will be wasting money on your heating and air conditioning trying to keep the house comfortable. We’ve come up with ways you can save money while keeping your house nice and comfy no matter what season it is.
How much can insulation save you in money?
The short answer? A lot! With the proper insulation, you could be saving between 15% to 50%. While insulation throughout your entire home is essential, one of the most important places to have insulation is in the attic. No matter what time of year, if your attic isn’t protected, the temperature will seep out the top, never benefitting the house.
How else can you save money?
The insulation is just part of keeping your wallet as comfortable as your home. A few additional ways to help reduce your energy bills would be:
- Making your appliances are up to date that could be pulling energy.
- Seal up any air leaks. If there are any gaps or cracks around any doors or windows, it will cause a draft. Most of these you can seal up with weather stripping, caulking, or other similar material.
- Get regular maintenance to your heating and cooling systems. You’ll want to make sure there are no leaks or damage.
- Have a new water heater installed if your current one is 10 years or older.
- Upgrade your thermostat to one that can be programmed to help regular the temperature throughout the day.
- Keep air vents and registers clean and vacuumed. The air system won’t need to work as hard if the air can flow freely through the vents.
- Cover any drafty windows with either a heavy curtain, plastic, or both.